Blueberry CBD Pie Recipe Created by a Michelin Star Chef
by Blythe Mckain
Blythe Mckain is the head of the pastries department at Restaurant Gary Danko. Located in the historic Fisherman’s Wharf district in the city of San Francisco, Gary Danko Restaurant has 12 Five Diamond ratings from AAA as well as the coveted Relais & Châteaux designation. The Michelin rated restaurant has also earned several James Beard Awards, including Best New Restaurant, Best Service and Best Chef – California.
Summertime is in full-swing and that means in-season fruits, vegetables and herbs. You can find many of us, including chef Blythe Mckain, at the local farmers market on weekends scoping out the freshest, most succulent finds.
As a pastry chef at Michelin-starred Restaurant, Mckain often takes advantage of the ripe fruits of the season when creating new recipes. As a longtime Populum advocate, Mckain has also gotten creative with her use of CBD by infusing them into her unique baked goods.
“I use CBD in my everyday life and have found the oil in the tincture to be a unique addition to my recipes,” said Mckain. “Even my cat Oscar enjoys CBD for his nerves.”
Using Populum’s classic oil tincture, with its light orange citrus flavor, she developed a Lemon Blueberry CBD Pie recipe, perfect for any summertime gathering. The citrus flavors from Populum CBD are light and the ripe blueberries make this pie recipe absolutely irresistible.
Lemon Blueberry CBD Pie
Yields One 9" Pie (single crust), Serves 8-10
FOR THE CRUST:
- 1 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 oz cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 8 mL (1 dropper) 250mg Populum Full-Spectrum Hemp CBD Tincture
- 2 oz cold water
FOR THE FILLING:
- 8 oz fresh blueberries
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 2 lemons, zested, juice from one lemon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Combine the flour and salt in a bowl or the base of a food processor
2. Work in butter until it is broken up into pea sized pieces, the larger the chunks of butter the flakier your crust will be
3. Add hemp oil and vinegar and lightly mix to combine
4. Add cold water and mix just until a dough forms, be cautious not to overmix or the crust will be tough
5. Refrigerate for at least four hours, best overnight
6. Roll the dough to the appropriate size of your pie plate and refrigerate while preparing the filling by tossing all ingredients together in a bowl
7. Lightly dock the pie shell with a fork before filling it
8. Finish with a second crust on top or a streusel topping *If baking with a second crust on top, gently brush the crust with a beaten egg and sprinkle granulated sugar before baking
9. Bake at 375 degrees fahrenheit until the crust is golden and the filling is slightly bubbling. About 40 minutes