CBD Honey: How To Use It as Part of Your Wellness Plan
by Taylor Hogan
Hemp and honey aren't new. Both are natural substances that have been treasured for their healing properties for thousands of years. The two easily combine into a perfect good-for-you pick-me-up that you can use throughout your day. This is what inspired Populum to partner with Arizona Sweet Summer Farms to create an Orange + CBD Raw Honey.
For a delicious and easily accessible way to harness the beneficial properties of the hemp plant, consider CBD honey. Natural honey already comes with a host of benefits, and now you can combine honey's nourishing properties with CBD.
With that in mind, we've put together this handy guide to help you learn about honey's health benefits, why CBD works well with honey, and how to include CBD honey in your daily wellness routine.
Honey’s History and Health Benefits
Bees have always been an essential part of the planet’s ecosystem — they first appear in the fossil record over 150 million years ago. For centuries, people have celebrated honey as a delicious food with medicinal properties.
Honey made its way into historical texts by ancient Babylonians, Sumerians, Hittites, Indians, and Egyptians. Greeks and Romans filled their recipe books with instructions for using honey in their cooking. In fact, honey and bee products were so valuable they were even used as currency for a time.
Today, science shows that raw honey has several health benefits. Here are some of the top ways honey can enhance your well-being:
- Cough and Respiratory Relief: A study in the British Medical Journal found honey could reduce the severity and frequency of coughing in upper respiratory infections. Honey is also thought to be a better alternative to antibiotics.
- Anti-Bacterial and Anti-Inflammatory Effects: Research shows that honey has potent anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory effects. It can help with tissue repair by reducing inflammation and preventing bacterial growth.
- Supports Gut Health: Your gut has a profound effect on your immune system. As such, it's vital that you maintain a balanced gut microbiota, including probiotics and prebiotics. Scientists have determined honey acts as a prebiotic and can work to support your microbiome.
Have fun exploring different honey varieties to find your favorite. Buckwheat, fireweed, clover, manuka, and wildflower honey are just a handful of options. Every honey each has its own flavors and aromas, and specific medicinal properties may vary by type and geographic location.
How CBD and Honey Can Work Together
We know honey can enhance our health, and evidence about hemp's potential benefits continues to grow. So, it's a natural fit combining the two into one product.
If you aren't familiar, CBD stands for cannabidiol. It’s derived from hemp plant buds. These buds are filled with terpenes and cannabinoids that interact with your endocannabinoid system (ECS). Your ECS has a role in regulating several bodily functions such as sleep, memory, mobility, and stress. By working with your endocannabinoid system, CBD can help bring your body into a state of balance and ease.
Because the FDA regulates hemp CBD products, by law these products must not contain more than 0.3% tetrahydrocannabinol (aka THC, the main psychoactive compound in cannabis that creates the “high” sensation). Because CBD products contain only trace amounts of this compound, you don’t need to worry about experiencing any psychoactive effects.
CBD honey is made by infusing honey with CBD extracts. You'll experience the best results by choosing a CBD made with top-quality ingredients. Ideally, your CBD product should come with a third-party laboratory report showing you exactly what's in your hemp CBD.
For the best CBD honey, choose products from reputable companies that value transparency and quality. Knowing what you're getting with your hemp CBD is essential, especially if you want to make it part of your wellness plan.
By selecting a full spectrum extract, you're likely to experience better results than choosing CBD isolates. When all the hemp plant compounds are present, they work to create what's known as the "entourage effect."
Be sure to follow suggested dosage guidelines on the label — start with a lower dose until you determine how it affects your body. You can always increase as needed. Remember, you may need more or less over time as you build up a tolerance to CBD.
Easy Ways to Use CBD Honey
The possibilities are endless when it comes to using CBD-infused honey. From cooking to relaxing, you’re bound to find a way to include CBD honey in your life. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- As a Natural Sweetener in Drinks: One of the easiest ways to use CBD honey is as an alternative to sugar or artificial sweeteners. If you enjoy starting your day with a mug of coffee or winding down with a cup of tea in the evening, try adding a spoonful of CBD honey (or CBD honey sticks) for a touch of sweetness. If you’ve been feeling stressed lately, make a point to practice mindfulness while you sip a cozy drink. Doing so can go a long way in helping you manage stress in your life.
- In Your Favorite Recipes: The ways you can use CBD honey extend well beyond your favorite beverages. Try using hemp honey in a post-workout smoothie or even drizzled on dessert. Anywhere you would typically use honey or maple syrup in a recipe or dish, you can substitute CBD honey. Take a peek at our recipe for delicious lemon blueberry CBD pie. The ingredient list is short and sweet, making it the perfect opportunity to get more comfortable adding CBD hemp extract to your cooking and get your creative juices flowing in the kitchen.
- To Enhance Your Beauty Routine: Honey has skin-softening and anti-bacterial properties. As such, you can use it as a gentle cleanser as well as a soothing face mask. Follow your honey treatment with Populum's lavender and CBD face oil. Antioxidant-rich lavender essential oil reduces the appearance of fine lines and provides a calming scent to help you settle into a peaceful state of mind. Meanwhile, grapeseed and hemp oil drench your skin in vitamins and minerals, leaving you with a healthy glow. As with every Populum product, the third-party lab report gives you a clear picture of the full spectrum CBD ingredients, including details on cannabinoid and terpene profiles of the Colorado-grown hemp.
Picking up a hand cream or lip balm with CBD oil are other great ways to upgrade your self-care game. If you want more ideas for using CBD oil in your skincare regimen, check out our guide on creative ways to incorporate CBD into your beauty routine.
As always, if you’re dealing with a serious medical condition or use prescription medication, check with a professional and follow your doctor’s advice.
Use CBD Honey as Part of Your Wellness Plan
If you’ve tried CBD gummies or a CBD tincture and want more ways to enjoy CBD, consider picking up a jar of CBD honey or making your own. It’s a cinch to whip up in your kitchen and easy to add to your favorite foods or make it part of your weekly self-care ritual.
Always look for high-quality hemp products as well as ethically sourced honey which is often the tastiest honey because it is higher quality and less processed. Buy from companies that pride themselves on transparency and readily offer third-party lab reports. You'll have peace of mind knowing you're buying from a brand that cares as much as you do.
While you can always opt for regular honey, if you want to boost your overall well-being and create a nurturing moment for yourself throughout the day, CBD honey could be the perfect complement to your wellness routine.